Public Health U (PHU) is a program at the Frank Foundation whose primary aim is to contribute to improvements in the health of populations in low- to middle-income countries by building public health capacity via e-learning at a very low cost. We achieve this through our master’s level learning community, offered at a very low cost, where our graduates can obtain their degrees through our partners and by offering free continuing education for public health professionals.
- Provide public health education for those working in health-related institutions in low- to middle-income countries who would otherwise not be able to access such education based on e-learning.
- Utilize a “social model” of capacity building with volunteer academics, support staff, and open educational resources using a collaborative approach.
- Offer “train the trainers” education benchmarked to the Master’s-level for those with prior educational and occupational experience.
- Provide competency-based education aimed to assist in tackling major health problems faced in the students’ settings.
- Raise awareness among students and facilitators about the importance of implementing evidence-based public health education and practice.
- Create an educational portfolio including continuing professional development and awards of Certificate, Diploma, and Master of Public Health.
- Work with alumni, partner organizations, and volunteers to continue teaching, producing research, and supporting the implementation of evidence-based policies to improve the health of their populations.