Public Health U (PHU) is a program at the Frank Foundation offered in partnership with the Annenberg Physician Training Program whose primary aim is to contribute to improvements in the health of populations in low- to middle-income countries by building public health capacity via e-learning at a very low cost.
We achieve this through our master’s level learning community, offered at a very low cost where our graduates can obtain their degrees through our partners and by offering free continuing education for public health professionals.
- Provide public health education for those working in low- to middle-income countries who would otherwise not be able to access such education, via Internet-based e-learning.
- Utilise a ‘social model’ of capacity building, with volunteer academic and support staff and open educational resources available through the Internet, using a collaborative approach and modern information and communication technology.
- Offer education at the ‘train the trainers’ benchmarked to the master’s degree level, for those with prior educational and occupational experience.
- Provide education that meets identified competencies that help with the evidence-based practice of public health and are action-oriented, to assist in tackling major health problems facing the populations in which the students work.
- Create an educational portfolio including continuing professional development modules and awards of Certificate, Diploma, and Master of Public Health.
- Work with the graduates of the educational program, and other relevant partner organizations, in teaching, research, implementation of evidence-based health policy and advocacy to improve the health of their populations.